Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Dying to Go/Going to Die

I am getting super excited to move. You might say that I was 'dying to go' but more accurately I am going to die. Now you may think I am referring to the dangers of overseas work but rather I am describing a faith action. Throughout my 'new life' I often think about the concept of dying to myself as a response to Jesus saving me. The concept is not about being morbid and thinking about caskets like some Buddhists practice or that I have a deathwish but rather the surrender of my personal desires to Jesus.

The idea is mentioned in scripture in places like Galatians 2 "I am crucified with Christ it is no longer I who live but Christ living in me." The old Joshua is gone and Jesus is living in the new Joshua. A current Christian minister strongly put it, 'I would talk about myself but I'm dead, God killed me and gave me His Son's life instead." That's what happened at the cross. Yes that is where Jesus died but the old Josh died there too because the old, rebellious, sinful Josh who deserved the death died with Jesus. (Romans 6:6-11) The verse in Galatians 2 continues, "the life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God". Now that I am a new person in Jesus, I am to live by faith and not by the old Josh. So for that to take place requires faith in Jesus, that He is needed in every area of my life, that I am desperate for Him.

Unfortunately I often trust in my own resources and that gets in the way. I try to get through life being clever in how I interact with others or try to take the easier way. Jesus' way for me might mean He wants me to talk to someone about something that would be uncomfortable or go somewhere that might not be safe. For example, let's say there is someone that you have offended because you said something stupid. You were wrong and it's your fault that there is now conflict between you. What do you do? If I was to be totally focused on my own desire for self-comfort and what is easy I would not talk to this person but let it go. I wouldn't apologize. BUT if I die to my own desires and trust that Jesus and His word is the best for me then I would respond to the situation much differently. I would know that in Matthew 5 at the Sermon on the Mount Jesus teaches that if you are on your way to worship God and you remember that your brother has something against you first go and be reconciled to your brother. If I am not 'dying to myself' and believing that Jesus' way is better than I would not obey that teaching and be part of the blessing of a reconciled relationship. I would miss out on Jesus living through me.

When we are living by faith and not living for ourselves (aka dying to yourself) we are much more likely to end up in situations that are great blessing for our souls. But it won't be easy. Yesterday, I took part in an exercise for our leadership conference where we went to a government subsidized housing project and walked around to 1. Share the gospel 2. Meet felt needs 3. Get to know the area so we can pass the info along to a church wanting to minister there. Well I could have said, "I am not very comfortable meeting people I don't know to talk to them about Jesus. I think it would be awkward for me to try to help them because they will resent me, not like me, (insert excuse here)" I confess it is not easy to take part in these outreaches. I have my hesitations and fears. Now apply the faith in Jesus resulting in dying to myself. We prayed, we went, we met people who are different in some ways and in others, very similar. I talked to several single moms and their kids. I am not a single mom but I do have a daughter so we talked about kids. We talked about life and Jesus. They were very friendly and I felt like I was able to represent Jesus to them. Now they know a guy who loves Jesus, explained who Jesus is, and invited them to church which they may not have 2 days ago.

So I'm knocking on doors in this place not knowing who is on the other side but trusting that Jesus is with me and likes it when I trust Him. After five doors with no answer a man in his late forties opened the door. After telling him I am in the neighborhood representing a church he invites me in with a smile and offers for me to sit on his couch and gives me some water. On the TV was a black preacher and a Bible sat on the table. There were three kids in the apartment and they looked at me with curiosity. The man introduced himself as he sat down and began sharing how he is in the middle of a divorce, feeling down and hurt, and through the course of events went from a nice home to needing to live in this apartment with his five boys. It was a divine appointment. He needed someone to talk to and pray with, I was walking around looking for people to serve. God brought us together and we were able to pray together, two strangers in need of Jesus. We both left thanking Jesus for how he works in trying circumstances and brings people into our lives. He called me an angel but my friends can tell you that I'm not quite there.

As I prepare for the move one of the biggest lessons God is teaching me right now is that this trip and all its challenges are not for me to face on my own. He wants me to go and be available for what He wants me to do. To be available for who He wants me to talk to. To do ministry His way and not try to do it on my own. WHAT our faith is in makes the difference.

To live is Christ . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home